Re: [tlug] Networking with an ADSL Router

Walter Hansen <gandalf@example.com> wrote:
> Just pick ipaddreses. You can use 1, 2, 3 etc or get fancy, 10, 88, 69,
> whatever you like, just make sure to not use the routers address, 0 or 255.

0 and 255 are network/broadcast addresses.  Most BB routers have address
1 or 254.

> You'll also need the gateway address (your router). On a RH machine
> that's in /etc/sysconfig/network but I'm not sure for debian. I've got a
> debian machine, but it's still *new* and I've only just begun to play
> with it.

You can do "netstat -rn" and look up the gateway for destination "0.0.0.0"
while the machine is under DHCP.

> You'll also need to set the DNS servers. On a RH machine that's
> /etc/resolv.conf

Most BB routers can proxy DNS also, and this will usually yield the IP
of the BB router.

> Oh, it's probably not a good idea to assign ip addresses statically that
> your router is assigning dynamically. You can go into your routers
> config and turn of DHCP or just use addresses outside the range that it
> assigns.

Another way to do it is let clients use DHCP and assigning IPs
statically by ethernet MAC at the BB router, if the router supports it.
I like to do it this way because it keeps the clients simple, keeps the
information at one place and you don't need to worry about IP address
clashes.

Stephen