Re: [tlug] -proposal- 2/25 extra TLUG meeting

A.Tomita wrote:

>   I got word that Art Tyde, co-founder CEO of Linuxcare,
>   co-founder/president of the Bay Area Linux Users Group,
>   and currently at Levanta (the company that used to be
>   called Linuxcare) will be in Japan in the end of the month.

There's an article at Linux Forum about Art's TLUG visit - here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/art_tyde's_ginza_visit.html

Lyle

PS - Wait a minute - they have put a "'" in the URL - I think that might
not work correctly - so be sure to have the whole thing in there....
Here's the first part of the article:

Art Tyde's Ginza Visit

Contributed by Lyle Saxon in Reviews

03-10-06

February 25th, I took a couple of trains across town to Ginza for a
special TLUG meeting with Art Tyde. Being a Saturday, I had mixed
feelings about going out for something that seemed a little more like
work than fun, but the man crossed the Pacific, so the least I could do
was to cross Tokyo! The last time I attended a meeting, I was expecting
to meet a California man and I met someone from South Africa, so this
time I was pleased to discover someone from my old stomping grounds in
San Francisco and Silicon Valley (no problem with South Africa mind you,
I just mean it was nice to meet someone from my old hometown).

Walking into the company conference room where the meeting was held, I
sat down with the other expat Linux people in the room and looked over
at Art, who looked around at us all with a bemused expression and asked
what was with the lack of locals.  We laughed and explained that there
are J-locals on the TLUG list, but since the list is an English language
one, it's a bit heavy with expats (a couple of the local members did
show up later on).

So - to go over some parts of what Art talked about during the Ginza
meeting, here are some select transcriptions from a recording I made
(with permission) of the meeting.

Tyde: "I've got a bunch of different things that I've been working on.
One is obviously the standards group, so that's the... ah... Linux
standard base, which we just actually got approved as an ISO standard...
which is a big deal."

SB-1: "So now we have to pay for it..."

Tyde: [laughter] "No... you can still get it for free... but not from
the ISO website!  But they're happy to send you something like 40 pounds
worth of books [for a price]."And one of my start-up companies is coming
into Japan for a second time. Back in '96, I started this company called
LinuxCare, which was here for a while, but then when the dot.com bubble
burst, LinuxCare's customers went out of business. So everybody scaled
down and then LinuxCare kind of looked around and said; 'Okay... IBM is
basically making off with all the support business and it's a changed
space now. We need to get a product that's...' so ah... they did that,
and now they're actually coming back into Japan, and they have this
gadget that will provision Linux machines, which is kind of cool.
"Um... looking around in Japan, it's like... everybody lies to me about
which are popular Linux distributions; Red Hat tells you they own the
market, Turbo tells you they own the market... who actually uses Linux,
and what Linux do they use around here?"

Etc.  See the article in Linux Forum for the full text - the link I put
above might not work, so try accessing it from the front page, here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/

Lyle