Re: [tlug] help with Red based internet connection

    brendan> Hostname:        localhost.localdomain
    brendan> DNS search path: localdomain

I don't think you really have access to a DNS server.

What does "hostname" at the command line tell you?

    brendan> Primary DNS:     192.168.24.1

Can you ping this address?  If not, your network is not "plugged in",
either at the hardware level or (more likely) at the software level.

What does "route -n" tell you?  (Since you don't appear to have DNS,
the -n will speed things up massively by not trying to get host
names.)  It should look something like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.24.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.24.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

    brendan> - when I typed into the address line at the top of the
    brendan> browser http://192.168.24.1

This is presumably the router.  Failure to connect to that address is
expected.  You are only supposed to be able to connect "through" it.

    brendan> inet ad: 192.168.24.51

Can you ping this address?  (You should be able to.)

    brendan> bcast:   192.168.24.255

Don't ping this address.  You shouldn't get any useful information.

    brendan> By the way, the reason my laptop would not connect is
    brendan> that, as you saw above, it is configured to get an IP
    brendan> address dynamically. Ryukoku University assigns static
    brendan> addresses, I have since learned.

Did you get one there?  Did (does) it work?

    brendan>   error making /dev/isdnctrl:  permission denied
    brendan>   loading isdn modules             FAILED

Urk!  Do you have "root" (aka "superuser") access on your laptop?  Try
logging in as root then connecting to the net.

However, this seems kind of strange to me.  AFAIK the kind of setup
you have should just "look like" an ethernet to your computer, and you
should have no need for ISDN services.