Re: [tlug] Graphics drawing libraries

Guillaume Proux wrote:

> I think that if you don't mind playing with Python, you should have a
> look at PIL (http://effbot.org/zone/pil-index.htm
> <http://effbot.org/zone/pil-index.htm>)

PIL is pretty good ... though I was a bit annoyed 2 or 3 years ago when
I used it to create a batch resizer for JPEGs, and found my program
would silently destroy images whose formats it didn't understand. It
seems to me I couldn't find a straightforward way to detect the images
that wouldn't work--though it could be that I just didn't understand the
API well enough.

> It is a very simple but very nice way to create pictures
> programmatically. There is a recent addition of support for the AGG library.

That looks cool. How complete/reliable is PIL's support for AGG?

There's also libart:

   http://www.levien.com/libart/
   http://www.gnome.org/~mathieu/libart/libart.html

And probably a number of other options, depending on what kinds of
images you want to generate and how you want to use them.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/