Re: [tlug] Linux Format magazine

On 30/01/06, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >Revision 4 is looking pretty sharp, thanks to the efforts of such
> >stalwarts as Stephen and Lyle--though Lyle should probably check out
> >ESR's Wikipedia entry! [1]
>
> Right!  I'll do that!  Sorry!

I was just breaking your balls a little, don't worry. :)

Then again, it would certainly help your geek credentials out to know
who ESR is and have a strong opinion on him. ;)

> I gave it another read-over and I have made one small change.  I removed
> the exclamation mark at the end of the second paragraph.  It's been
> there through several drafts, but I just realized that it bugs me every
> time I see it!

Agreed. Scott pointed this out earlier, but I kept the exclamation
mark then because I wanted that paragraph to read breathlessly, with
each phrase crescendoing toward the relentless end! <= Like that, see?
;)

But when the paragraph went through a few more revisions, the
exclamation mark had outlived its usefulness. Thanks for putting it
down. ;)

However, since you changed only one character, it *really* would have
been a great application for a patch. c.f.

http://www.qnd-guides.net/qnd-diff-patch

Basically, here is what you should have done:

wget http://www.tlug.jp/docs/linux-format_2006-01.txt
cp linux-format_2006-01.txt linux-format_2006-01.txt.ORIG
vim linux-format_2006-01.txt
# remove that pesky exclamation mark!  <= and that one! etc! ;)(!)
sorry....           !
diff -u linux-format_2006-01.txt.ORIG linux-format_2006-01.txt
>linux-format_2006-01.txt-r5.patch

If you then attached the patch to your email, I could look at it and
quickly see that the only change you made was the exclamation mark. I
could then apply your patch easily, like so:

patch <linux-format_2006-01.txt-r5.patch

Nice!

Cheers,
Josh