Re: [tlug] Linux Format magazine

On 27/01/06, Rebecca Smalley <rebecca.smalley@example.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2006, at 23:36, Josh Glover wrote:
>
> > I can get it done and submitted to you by Monday morning (your
> > time--Monday evening, ours). Would that be OK?
>
> Monday would be fine.

Rebecca,

As promised, here is the write-up. It is 278 words, which I hope still
counts as "around 250 words". If you need to cut it down some, would
you mind running it by me first?

As for the pictures, I thought that our logo might be appropriate:

http://www.tlug.jp/tlug_template/mcquillin3.png

And here are a few of our favourite pictures, along with suggested
captions. I leave the final choice of which pictures to use up to you
(you probably have a better idea of what will look good in print), but
I have ranked them in order of preference (all other things being
equal):

1. http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/2005/01/Photos/RIMG1131.JPG
TLUG members enjoy some karaoke at a nomikai (drinking party) while
president Zev Blut orders two more beers--at least, we hope that is
what he is doing!

2. http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/0205/images/05.jpg
Presentations on LTSP, diskless clients, and Kickstart drew a large
crowd to TLUG's May 2002 technical meeting

3. http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/0205/images/04.jpg
Presentations on LTSP, diskless clients, and Kickstart drew a large
crowd to TLUG's May 2002 technical meeting
(same caption, different picture)

4. http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/2003/09/20030914-Pages/Image5.html
TLUG members show off the UNIX family tree at the September 2003
technical meeting

I really like #1, as it captures TLUG's fun-loving spirit, and is a
bit cheeky to boot (though Zev promises he was ordering two drinks,
not making a rude gesture).

I also really like the idea of our logo being worked in. If that means
having only one photo in addition to the logo, that is OK--though two
photos plus the logo would be ideal! :)

Feel free to crop, colour-correct, or otherwise manipulate the photos
as you see fit. Unfortunately, the ones in the links are the highest
resolution images we have (sorry), but we can probably get you a
better version of the logo if the one linked in this email is not good
enough.

If you would not mind running the final proof by me before publishing,
I would appreciate the courtesy, but of course I understand if time or
policy constraints make this impossible.

Finally, please do let us know when our piece will run, so we can
instruct our UK-dwelling members to buy extra copies of that issue of
Linux Format for us! :)

Thanks for thinking of TLUG for your magazine; we are honoured to be featured.

Cheers,
Josh

PS: Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Josh Glover writes:

The Tokyo Linux Users Group emerged from the creative energies of a number of
Japan's Internet pioneers. In recognition of the significance of Linux, TLUG's
earliest incarnation, the "LINUX" conference, was created on June 16, 1994 on
TWICS (the only public access ISP in Japan at that time). Those pioneering early
days were exciting, with everyone helping each other learn about Linux. In
September, the first official "TLUG" meeting was held.

Over the intervening years, TLUG meetings were generally held every few months,
featuring speakers like Jeremy Allison, Tim O'Reilly and Eric Raymond. Copious
amounts of beer were consumed, a Japanese beer-hall was nearly set on fire, and
most importantly, TLUG members helped each other solve many interesting problems
related to Linux and Open Source software.

TLUG has established itself as one of the foremost Internet resources for
issues related to using the Japanese language on Linux / Unix, and is proud to
count a number of field-leading figures among its members, including: the
founder of the EDICT project, the XEmacs Release Manager, the leading
translator of open source literature into Japanese, the founder of the Digital
Dictionary of Buddhism, a prominent Perl hacker, a salty NetBSD / XFree86
hacker, a GNOME hacker, the editor of the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter, a Gentoo
developer, and a legion of knowledgeable people who have a lot of fun playing
with Linux.

TLUG holds meetings every month now, alternating between technical meetings and
drinking parties. Membership (like love) doesn't cost a thing, and everyone is
welcome, even if you are not in Tokyo or even Japan--some of our most active
mailing list members live overseas--so stop by tlug.jp anytime!