[tlug] Possible CJK Web Mail Complications (Re: Kanji Email on XP:Encodings)

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:42:37 -0800 (PST) Steve S. wrote:

> Also I need to find out more about how she accesses her emailfrom home.
> I've been trying to get her to use an account where she can use web mail
> like Yahoo.

Reading CJK email on web browsers can be difficult.
The web page needs to have one encoding for the basic
web page, then another for the letter. It _can_ be done
right, but can be botched. Typing can be even worse.
Pull down menus can be mojibake.

Then there's the case where the email headers incorrectly
indicate the encoding. If the webmail server follows the
headers (like it should!), then you see mojibake.
Dedicated email clients often give the opportunity to
override the language/encoding. Browsers have a similar
capability, but it applies to the whole page, and maybe
not the part with other language content and maybe
not the stuff you type in.

Of course, if web mail works for her, declare victory and run away.
Especially if it is an opportunity to wean her off of proprietary
software to solid food like Firefox.