Re: [tlug] 2G SD Card Adventures on a Zaurus

    Edward> Alain Hoang wrote:
    >> Edward Middleton wrote:
    >>
    >>> Alain Hoang wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Which shop offered to let you try? The one I went to said they
    >>> wouldn't.
    >>>
    >> DOS PARA (http://www.dospara.co.jp).
    >>
    Edward> I guess you were the second customer who had asked ;)
    >>> I was hoping it was a driver problem.  SD is a proprietary
    >>> protocol so the drivers still have bugs.  I have not had time
    >>> to check but I
    >>>
    >> The Linux drivers for the sd card? The sd cards themselves? Or
    >> the firmware driver on the sd card reader devices?
    Edward> I was referring to the kernel driver, but if it is any of
    Edward> the above then there is hope.  If it turns out to be a
    Edward> limitation of the hardware, then it will obviously never
    Edward> work.

There may be hardware limits on the usage of 2GB SD-cards. E.G gumstix
are currently not able to address 2GB SD-cards because their hardware
doesn't support it, the same limitations should apply to older zaurus models.
For newer ones it may just be a driver problem.

see also
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9315268&forum_id=38940

where David Farrell writes:
>There has been some discussions on
>the linux-arm-kernel list about 2GB
>SD cards with PXA255 designs. To sum
>up, it appears that the PXA255 MMC
>interface cannot support 1024 byte
>block sizes which cards >1GB seem to
>use. Refer to the linux-arm-kernel
>list "Re: PXA27x SD/MMC card CRC
>errors - only sometimes" thread.

>The PXA27X does not have the same
>limitation.

>David.

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|