Re: [tlug] Mic Problems

Josh Glover wrote:

>That is a good question. Why not ask Google?
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Mic+As+Center%2FLFE%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>
>The fifth hit shows that you can leave the config file alone and just
>use amixer to turn it off:
>
>http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:2LJ5IrkjCbkJ:www.linux-bulgaria.org/webarchive/2003/Dec/26253.html+%22Mic+As+Center/LFE%22&hl=en
>
>Yay Bulgarian LUG! :)
>
>If you would prefer *not* to read Bulgarian in the Latin alphabet
>(presumably because you are too much of a purist to stomach read
>Bulgarian in anything but the Cyrillic), a hit high on the next page
>gives you a hint on how to accomplish this in the config file:
>
>http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:O1h6t172YA0J:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg02292.html+%22Mic+As+Center/LFE%22&hl=en

Bulgarian, huh? I'll haveta get our very own TLUG Bulgarian Sumo,
Nikolai(correct spelling?) to help me out.

>In summation, try this:
>
>amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" false
>
>or maybe:
>
>amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" 0

[root@example.com ~]# amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" false
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Mic As Center/LFE',0

[root@example.com ~]# amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" 0
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Mic As Center/LFE',0

>Or, in the config file, find / add something like this:
>
>	control.38 {
>		comment.access 'read write'
>		comment.type BOOLEAN
>		comment.count 1
>		iface MIXER
>		name 'Mic As Center/LFE'
>		value false
>	}

 control.38 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type INTEGER
                comment.range '0 - 16383'
                iface MIXER
                name 'IEC958 AC97 Playback Volume'
                index 1
                value.0 0
                value.1 0

I'm quite sure, far back, I stated that /etc/asound.state didn't possess
any line pertaining to 'Mic As Center/LFE'

>Your config file doesn't have a control.38{} section? Run this command
>and paste the output into your reply to this email:
>
>grep -C 10 'Mic As Center/LFE' /etc/asound.state

[root@example.com ~]# grep -C 10 'Mic As Center/LFE' /etc/asound.state
[root@example.com ~]# vi /etc/asound.state

I eventually moved the drive from Desktop A to Desktop C, old sony vaio,
which is usually my smoothwall box, and it worked fine, no issues with
either Audacity or Skype. It has an onboard sound card(so does PC A). I
then put the drive into Desktop B, and added a used pci soundcard, and
was back to the original problem, no audacity or skype recording
ability. Unfortunately, I'm now having power issues with PC A(for a
later thread), so, was hoping to get it to work on PC B, but, if worse
comes to worse, will just put the smoothwall drive into PC B, and use
the sony vaio, for now. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.