Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:03:04PM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 26/01/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>

> If you want a LiveCD, you want FizzleWizzle:
>
> CD:   http://tracker.netdomination.org/torrents/fizzlewizzle-fosdem-x86-r3.iso.torrent
> DVD: http://tracker.netdomination.org/torrents/fizzlewizzle-fosdem-x86-dvd-r3.iso.torrent
>
> I am sure you can find FTP downloads somewhere, since you seem to be
> dead-set against BitTorrent... ;-P

They're slow OK?  I'm sorry, giving back to the community ~is~
important, and sometimes, I'll do a torrent of an ArchLinux CD because
it's relatively small, and I just need a backup copy, but bandwidth
aside, it's usually slow.  :)

> As Stoyan and Edward noted, this can easily be fixed with USE flags
> (which are *the* single thing that has kept me loyal to Gentoo--and
> for that matter, Linux, as I intended to jump ship for NetBSD about
> two years back).

Are you aware of the PKG_OPTIONS in NetBSD?  Not quite as flexible as
use flags, but quite good--they enable, for example, one to build
xorg-server without all the extra drivers you don't need.  It's not that
well documented but I have a brief explanation on a somewhat unofficial
wiki.  I'm not sure how long it's been around--if it was around 2 years
ago, then no doubt, you are aware of it.

http://wiki.aydogan.net/index.php/How_to_use_PKG_OPTIONS_with_pkgsrc

> Even with the qualifiers, this is praise indeed, coming from you! :)
> (And I don't mean that in a snide way, I just mean that you are not
> easily impressed.)

Err, you must have missed an earlier post of his on the torrent
thread--he said that I struck him as being intelligent.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: The world is what it is---we fight, we die. Wishing
doesn't change that.
Giles: I have to believe in a better world.
Buffy: Go ahead. I have to live in this one.