Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

    Stoyan> I'm usually doing: emerge -p -v links before the actual
    Stoyan> install.

Sure, and there's also '-a', but remember that although I've been
using personal Unix since 386BSD, I'm a Gentoo newbie doing my very
first setup.  The docs say "reboot, and follow the manual".  Well, the
manual requires a browser, but *surprise!* links isn't there!  So I
emerge it, and got X.  Oh, well, I didn't want to eat dinner with my
daughter tonight anyway.  (Yes, I did need to complete the install
last night, and no, I wasn't going to hit the reset switch or
something, and maybe have to start from scratch.) :-(

My point is that stuff that the manual recommends early in the install
should not depend on huge packages like that; later when you want a
text-mode browser capable of displaying Macromedia (why? ;-), you can
"USE='xorg gnome xemacs all-of-sourceforge flash' emerge links".

    Stoyan> In your case maybe adding USE="-X" to your /etc/make.conf
    Stoyan> will help.

Uh, too late, and now I want X by default, it's a development
workstation for a GUI app.