Re: [tlug] Mic Problems

On 24/01/06, Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >Now, using your favourite text editor (XEmacs, right?), open the file
> >/etc/asound.state (you probably have to be root for this step, as
> >well). If you find "Mic As Center/LFE", set it to "false". If you
> >don't find it, add a new line, using the conventions contained in the
> >file, that sets it to false.
>
> Josh, this is what confuses me, below is the convention for this file,
>
> control.39 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.range '0 - 16383'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'IEC958 Capture Volume'
>                 index 1
>                 value.0 0
>                 value.1 0
>         }
>
> How, using this convention, do I set "Mic As Center/LFE" to "false"? Cheers.

That is a good question. Why not ask Google?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Mic+As+Center%2FLFE%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The fifth hit shows that you can leave the config file alone and just
use amixer to turn it off:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:2LJ5IrkjCbkJ:www.linux-bulgaria.org/webarchive/2003/Dec/26253.html+%22Mic+As+Center/LFE%22&hl=en

Yay Bulgarian LUG! :)

If you would prefer *not* to read Bulgarian in the Latin alphabet
(presumably because you are too much of a purist to stomach read
Bulgarian in anything but the Cyrillic), a hit high on the next page
gives you a hint on how to accomplish this in the config file:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:O1h6t172YA0J:https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg02292.html+%22Mic+As+Center/LFE%22&hl=en

In summation, try this:

amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" false

or maybe:

amixer set "Mic As Center/LFE" 0

Or, in the config file, find / add something like this:

	control.38 {
		comment.access 'read write'
		comment.type BOOLEAN
		comment.count 1
		iface MIXER
		name 'Mic As Center/LFE'
		value false
	}

Your config file doesn't have a control.38{} section? Run this command
and paste the output into your reply to this email:

grep -C 10 'Mic As Center/LFE' /etc/asound.state

Cheers,
Josh