Re: [tlug] Bittorrent Newbie

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Scott> Oddly enough, though it's supposed to be faster, I've
>     Scott> always found it slower than standard downloads of ISOs.

Do your firewalls block outgoing torrent packets.  If you are leaching
off a torrent (i.e. downloading while blocking upload) then you will
find it slow.
> No, it's *supposed* to be slower,

It is supposed to be less bandwidth efficient, not slower.  This is not
the same thing.  If you are using ftp to download a file your download
bandwidth is limited by the servers bandwidth.  If you are downloading
with bittorrent the bandwidth is limited by the number of seeding (I
think that is the correct terminology) nodes. This assumes that you are
also uploading.  If there is only one seed your download bandwidth will
be a bit less then ftp, if there are many it will be greater.

Edward