Re: [tlug] Kanji file names,reading Mac OS X/Darwin file names in Linux

 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>

 >btw, XEmacs > 21.5.8 will do this, too, with
 >set-file-name-coding-system.  It's a bit risky, though, because it's
 >generally a bad idea to mix coding systems in the same directory, and
 >XEmacs currently does not have any logic in place to shield your feet.

 >Dunno about GNU Emacs.

GNU Emacs has the same variable, though not a separate command. and once
set it stays that way. So if I am plagued with this multi-encoding, I
start another emacs and set-variable, file-name-coding-system to euc-jp.
And likewise set coding-system-for-read to sjis, and I can handle Win
data easily, even if mounted as some other encoding.

 > Eh?  I read and write files with Japanese names all the time from
 > XEmacs on Mac OS X.

Not inside of Mac OS X.  I mean I want to read a Mac OS X written file
(e.g. a CD) with kanji file names, on a Linux machine. If its a romanji
file name I can get at it, and the data is sjis, in this case. But the
file names are unreadable, in any of the encodings I have tried. Old Mac
stuff was no problem really, but I cannot figure out the OS X deal.

I you have Mac OS X, then I hope you have figured this out!! It has
eluded me and so access to a bunch of valuable stuff is maddeningly
difficult.

Yours,

David Riggs, Kyoto