Re: [tlug] Mic Problems

On 19/01/06, Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >Did you ever try Mauro's suggestion?
>
> actually, to be honest, Mauro's suggestion kinda confused me. I
> asked(see botom) if it was a new entry or whether I was changing
> something from true to false, but, got no reply. Perhaps he's
> busy(breaking more playstations? hehe). Cheers.

He is probably busy ignoring every mail you send from now on.

Mark, if someone is trying to help you, showing a little gratitude is
probably a better way to ensure that they continue to try to help you.

Mauro suggested the following:

> 1. # alsactl store
> 2. edit /etc/asound.state. Set "Mic As Center/LFE" to "false".
> 3. # alsactl restore
> 4. Set your Mic to "Record"
> 5. Set Capture level high

None of which I find especially puzzling. Basically, issue the command in (1):

alsactl store   # you probably have to be root

Now, using your favourite text editor (XEmacs, right?), open the file
/etc/asound.state (you probably have to be root for this step, as
well). If you find "Mic As Center/LFE", set it to "false". If you
don't find it, add a new line, using the conventions contained in the
file, that sets it to false.

Run the command in (3), again probably as root:

alsactl restore

Now, using amixer or alsamixer, turn capture on for your mic. In
amixer, you would do something like:

amixer set Mic 100 capture unmute

At least report the results of these commands. Alternatively, since
Mauro's email helpfully included the phrase:

> Problem with the CMI8738 ...

You could try googling for something like this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Problem+with+the+CMI8738&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Or maybe throw in a keyword such as amixer or alsa:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Problem+with+the+CMI8738+amixer&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Problem+with+the+CMI8738+alsa&btnG=Search

Many hits, my friend. Many hits.

-Josh