[tlug] Kanji file names-- how to change encoding from euc-jp to utf-8

Thanks to TLUG, I can mount and access kanji named files from Japanese
WinXP floppies (even before the current thread on that topic.) I see the
file names as euc-jp kanji, though the file content is in sjis.

Anyway, what I want to do is to have those files on my utf-8  ext2 file
system, with the kanji file names intact, but changed to utf-8 encoding.
I can change the data with recode, but it does not do file names, as far
as I can see.

I have been bumbling around with recode and shell scripts but its really
over my head.

This is another one of those, "surely those TLUGer's can do it in their
sleep" kind of questions. Or I hope so-- changing back and forth among
coding systems for file names is a pain, even with emacs C-x RET c, and
I have a lot of file names in kanji (i.e. typing them all in again is
not an attractive option.)

Thanks for any suggestions,

David Riggs, Kyoto