Re: [tlug] mounting ntfs japanese partition (aka japanese windows& linux!)

David Bennett wrote:
> Local files that are not part of this drive do show up correctly.
> I believe FAT. FAT32 used Shift_JIS (or the Japanese Windows did at
> any rate) but that Windows NT uses Unicode. I have tried sjis, utf8
> and no luck.
> I have also tried utf16 and no luck.
>
> I suspect that the encoding is funny on the Windows side of things,
> but the fact is that Windows XP can display it properly where as all
> of my efforts to display it in linux cannot.

This is what I have to display files correctly in utf-8, and it works

/dev/sda1   /mnt/winxp-c ntfs
ro,noatime,uid=root,gid=disk,dmask=0227,fmask=0337,nls=utf8,case_sensitive=false
0 0

Perhaps your encoding is set wrong.  FAT file-system are stored in
Shift_JIS (if I remember correctly) so if they work your Locale is
probably not set to UTF-8.  Anyway you would be better to access them
over the network (CIFS) because that will give you full read/write access.

Edward