Re: [tlug] skype alternatives

sjs@example.com wrote:
> unless it's just IM with audio

what are you imagining VoIP is (minus the IM).
> My ISP doesn't offer VOIP and this is the first I've heard of something
> like this.
>
> What are the alternatives?  Is an ISP offering VOIP just something that
> doesn't happen here in the US or is it just something I haven't heard
> about?

What you pay for with VoIP is the connection from VoIP to POT's (Plain
Old Telephone) system(both incoming and outgoing connections).  Some
providers will also charge you for not adding delay to you VoIP
packets.  A lot of providers don't want you to know this because then
they can charge you more.  If you can setup both ends then you don't
need to pay for anything except the Internet connection.  The big
problem you will probably run into is NATed Internet connections.  In
order become connected from a NATed Internet you need to run an
intermediate server (like asterisk) on a global IP to forward between
the addresses.  Most VoIP providers offer SIP which doesn't work very
well with firewalls/NAT.  Asterisk has its own protocol IAX2 which is
much easier to use with firewalls/NAT.  Asterisk can be configured to
proxy between any/most SIP/IAX2/H323 e.t.c based VoIP provider.  If you
want to find out more about VoIP look at http://www.voip-info.org/

Edward