Latency: VOIP versus POTS (Re: [tlug] skype alternatives)

Stuart Luppescu wrote:

> [Steve S.] wrote:
> > What are the alternatives?

> I use Broadvoice.

> ... for calls to Japan, there is a very noticeable latency.
> It drives my wife crazy

I was very surprised when I started getting calls from
East Asia by Skype instead of by POTS [1], that the
latency with Skype was _lower_ than with POTS.
Granted the POTS calls were probably made with calling
cards for cheap rate, but it was nonetheless surprising
that the latency was lower with Skype.

I don't like the latency with either Skype or POTS,
but I incorporate it into the other accomodations
I make for non-native speakers, which are SSS.

   I talk SLOWLY, clearly pronouncing each word separately.
   Instead of one big long masterpiece of a sentence,
   I use several SHORT sentences instead.
   Each sentence is SIMPLE, eschewing sophisticated nuanced
   words and grammar.

For latency, I wait a little longer before talking
to avoid stepping on each other's toes.

[1] POTS: Plain Old Telephone Service