Re: [tlug] about sanitize_e820_map()

hello, this is Toshiyuki speaking.

There are three eccoding for japanese language.

EUC-JP Extended Unix Code (for japanese)
jis ISO2022-JP
shift-jis

EUC-JP and shift-jis is 8bit encoding.
EUC is also used for chinese encoding (including taiwan) and korean encoding.

jis is 7-bit and switches encoding with ESC (0x1b) and following charactors.
It switches not only japanese but also korean and other encoding.
(I use ascii and japanese encoding only)

See http://www.geocities.com/fontboard/cjk/jis.html

> Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> >Why not use UTF-8?

As Mr Glover wrote, utf-8 is the best because utf-8 includes japanese encoding.
I use the second best, simply because I have not changed the setting for
4 or 5 years.

> Toshiyuki's email looks good to me in ISO2022-JP but wrong in EUC-JP.

I wrote my mail with EUC encoding.
Perhaps, your mail program or browser converted encode from EUC to jis.

> but not when to use the different ones.  $Beb€eašea6e!w(B $Bea%!ea™(B $Bea%ee`‚(B

You need $B$$(B at the end of $B$`$:$+$7(B.

Thank you.