From: Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com>    Mailed-By: gmail.com
To: tlug@example.com
Date: Jan 18, 2006 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] Editing Soud Files (WAV & MP3)

On 1/17/06, Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:
 > Lyle H Saxon wrote:
 > >I'm currently working on a website for a singer and she wants me to
 > >put some sound files on the site.  I can put whole songs on with no
 > >problem (MP3) but she just wants short bits of them - say 20 seconds
 > >per song.  Can anyone recommend a good way to edit sound files?
 >
 > how about audacity
 >
 > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux

I went there and I'm wondering which of the following I should
download for SuSE 9.3?:

   * Alt Linux
   * Debian
   * Gentoo
   * PLD Linux
   * Red Hat / Fedora Core
         o Fedora Extras
         o Planet CCRMA
   * Ubuntu Linux
Linux and Unix users may also compile Audacity from source code.

 > and lame
 >
 > http://lame.sourceforge.net/

I'll go there next....

Lyle

Lyle H Saxon
to tlug
4:22 pm (6 minutes ago)
From: Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com>    Mailed-By: gmail.com
To: tlug@example.com
Date: Jan 18, 2006 4:22 PM

On 1/17/06, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
Lyle, something like this should work:

sox "The Toasters - Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down.mp3" \
 "The Toasters - Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down_sample.mp3" \
 trim 0:25.0 0:35.0

This example will take 35 seconds of audio, starting 25 seconds from
the beginning of "The Toasters - Don't Let the Bastards Grind You
Down.mp3", and save it to "The Toasters - Don't Let the Bastards Grind
You Down_sample.mp3".

Thanks!  I tried:

sox "06 Route 66.mp3" \
"06 Route 66.mp3_edit.mp3" \
trim 0:25.0 0:35.0

- which produced:

sox "06 Route 66.mp3" \
 >  "06 Route 66.mp3_edit.mp3" \
 >  trim 0:25.0 0:35.0
sox: Unknown output file format for '06 Route 66.mp3_edit.mp3': File
type 'mp3' is not known

I had the Route 66 test file in a folder by itself and within
Conqueror I opened a terminal there....

Lyle