Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first PC -- conclusion

    Micheal> If the old machine he was given 9 years ago can boot from
    Micheal> CD,

Ouch.  I wouldn't do that, if I were you.  Parts are going to be a big
hassle if anything goes wrong.  If it hasn't been in use recently, I
would expect things to go wrong ... dust in the contacts, dried up fan
or drive bearings, leaky batteries or capacitors etc.

Do take your DSL disk and see if it will boot the Linspire machine.
$300 for a box with hardware warrantee isn't bad, considering the risk
of a machine that has been ignored for years and has no reason to love
you.