Re: [tlug] Mailing list software suggestions solicited.

    Joshua> I'm 'shoping' for the lightest possible mailing list
    Joshua> set-up.

/etc/aliases + vi sounds like what you want. :-)

    Joshua> manually add and remove users but I want to have a decent
    Joshua> archive system

Dunno Ecartis, but of the others Mailman has the best architecture,
and it's only going to get better with Mailman 3 (currently vaporware,
so don't hold your breath).  You won't always be limited to 256MB.

AFAIK none of Mailman, Majordomo, or Smartlist come with a "decent
archive system".  Mailman's isn't terrible, but it's only minimally
supported, and most people who care move to MHonArc or something like
that.

    Joshua> Later I'll want to take what I learned at home and set-up
    Joshua> some mailing lists at work, including a announcement type
    Joshua> list for about 3000-4000.

You can't go badly wrong with Mailman; it scales and scopes well, and
I suspect Barry Warsaw has his eyes on making Mailman 3 a lot
friendlier to "customer relationship management" applications.
(Currently none of the above do that well at all.)

Both Majordomo and Smartlist are solid applications that meet the
requirements you've set for your home server, and it's been some years
since I've administered either.  Somebody else will have to discuss
Ecartis, I have no knowledge and no opinion of it.