Re: [tlug] Mic Problems

Josh Glover wrote:

>A-ha! What is probably going on is that your mic is not set to capture
>audio. Just because it plays back through the speakers does not mean
>that it is getting snagged by ALSA. Try this:
>
>amixer set Mic 100 capture mute
>
>Note that now sound picked up by the mic will not be played back. This
>is to prevent feedback. If you are using headphones, however, you can
>unmute the mic:
>
>amixer set Mic 100 capture unmute
>
>You may also want to turn up the gain:
>
>amixer set "Input Gain" 100

Josh, I tried the below,

[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ man amixer
[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ amixer info
Card default 'CMI8738'/'C-Media PCI CMI8738 (model 37) at 0xe000, irq 11'
  Mixer name    : 'CMedia PCI'
  Components    : ''
  Controls      : 39
  Simple ctrls  : 22
[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Synth',0
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Simple mixer control 'Line-In As Rear',0
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0   //this is our focus, yes?
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 5V',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Copyright',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Monitor',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Phase Inverse',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Select',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Valid',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Loop',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Mix Analog',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Simple mixer control 'Exchange DAC',0
Simple mixer control 'Four Channel Mode',0
[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ amixer set Mic 100 capture unmute
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31 Capture 0 - 7
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture 7 [100%] [off]
[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ amixer set Mic, 0 100 capture unmute
Wrong scontrol identifier: Mic,
[coolrabbit@example.com skype-1.2.0.18]$ amixer set Mic,0 100 capture unmute
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31 Capture 0 - 7
  Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture 7 [100%] [off]

but still nothing from echo123 test call or via audacity. Was the cmd
syntax perhaps wrong? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.