Re: [tlug] Is removal of whitespace appropriate for searching for kanji strings?

On 1/15/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:

>    $line=~s/\b//g; # Remove whitespace; add to this to remove punctuation;

It would not surprise me if it is correct to remove whitespace,
but Riggs did not mention doing so. Riggs only mentioned
punctuation, newlines and line numbers. The line numbers would
likely be trailed by whitespace, but we should hear from Riggs
about the appropriateness of removing whitespace.

Some sample short strings and some sample text to search through
would help show the problem that has not been completely been
defined.

True 'nuff, and maybe I should have read the question better, but it was the place for a regexp to do the requested dirty work and a regexp was present.  I wasn't expecting the program to be perfect, only that someone might pick it up and run with it...

Alternatively, you get what you pay for ;-)

--
Ian.