Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... what do you think?

Well, it does look like this has the potential for becoming a bit of a
flame war regarding distros. I have not touched Debian or any of its
children yet, other than using an Ubuntu LiveCD a couple of times.

I finally found a way to get Dad dial-up access for only about 5 dollars
more per month by setting him up with a bundle through AT&T. He has
satellite TV (no cable or channels where he lives), and AT&T has an
agreement with Directv, so combining all these things results in enough
discounts that the total is only +5 USD for unlimited dial-up.

I am looking at ways to save money on the PC itself, if possible. I
thought Linspire would be a good idea because I can get a system already
set up from Walmart for less than 200 USD. I would not like to spend my
time with Dad just tinkering with his hardware. This is my first visit in
almost a decade, and there are many other, more important things that I
need to do for him.

But I appreciate the advice about Debian. I am thinking that maybe I
should just set up Debian on this old Gateway PIII 733 that I have, get it
all working well, and then take it apart and carry it over in my suitcase.
I don't need clothes. I can buy them at Walmart.

My predecessor in this job (hope you are listening) sold me a home-made
box with a Korean case made of blue plastic in a pirate or marine theme.
It is really strange-looking, but it is also incredibly light. I could
switch the MB etc. and carry that over easily in my luggage.

Perhaps it would be better to just buy a used PC in Memphis. I don't know.
But I do appreciate the recommendation to avoid Linspire, and I will take
it to heart.

Micheal