Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... whatdo you think?

Micheal E Cooper wrote:
> I need to give you some background for this, so excuse the candice:
>
> My dad is 59, has never used a PC or a Mac, and has never been on the
> internet. He is in a wheelchair and partially paralyzed on the right side,
> unemployed, and living in rural Mississippi. He is an intelligent man, or
> at least he was before he moved to Mississippi, and he used to love
> science and math and particular.

I would avoid l inspire like the plague, they are designed for windows
users who are too cheap to pay the windows tax.  If he has never used a
computer before you are starting with a clean slate (no M$ mentality to
work around).  Most of the "user friendly" oriented operating systems
are really M$ users friendly, no first time computer user friendly.
Setup a system that will be simple and robust.  Only put on what he
uses.  I would suggest debian stable, and have him connected to the
security updates list.  Debian may not be simple to configure but it is
robust and very easy maintenance.  Pre-install the machine.
> About two weeks from now, I will return to the US for the first time in 9
> years, and I am considering getting him a PC and an internet connection.
>
> I am thinking of getting him a Linspire machine and a dial-up contract
> with NetZero for 10 USD/ month. NetZero actually advertises on its website
> that it caters to Linspire.
>
> While the low cost of a Linspire machine and NetZero is a big factor in
> the decision, it is more than that. Windows users find Mac and Linux
> difficult, while Mac users find Windows and Linux impossible. I suspect
> that it is simply a matter of what you are used to, and if you begin with

This, in my opinion is the write way to look at it, but considering
this, why would you want to start someone off with the worst of what
Linux has to offer.
> This is especially true since he will only be surfing the net and using
> email. I secretly hope that he will get the fever and find a new life
> online, but that is probably too much to expect.
>
> The only reason I can think of to go Windows is to give Dad voice
> recognition input, like DragonSpeaking, since he cannot use his right
> hand. Also, it is easier to find someone to fix your Windows than finding
> a Linux-literate to help with your Linspire.
>
> So what do you think of this idea? Do you think Linspire would be a good
> choice, or do you think that pushing Dad into Linux from the start is a
> bit like throwing a toddler in the bayou to teach him to swim?

Just set everything up to work properly before you give it to him.
Teach him about not logging in as root user.  You don't want to install
the latest and greatest, he will appreciate it working far more then
having the latest versions of whatever software, keep it simple.  You
might also consider setting up ssh so if something goes wrong you can
remote login and fix it for him.

Edward