Re: [tlug] Linspire as a senior citizen's first computer... what doyou think?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:43:02 +0900 (JST), "Micheal E Cooper"
<mcooper@example.com> wrote:

> So what do you think of this idea? Do you think Linspire would be a good
> choice, or do you think that pushing Dad into Linux from the start is a
> bit like throwing a toddler in the bayou to teach him to swim?

I think it's a good idea, not least of all because I did exactly the same
thing :)

My dad had not touched a keyboard since, uhmmm... 1979 IIRC. I followed the
course with him in fact, it was on old terminals connected to something
running CP/M IIRC and we saved our work on 8" floppies...

In March last year I put him together a new machine with GNU/Linux and,
apart from a few teething problems that he'd have had with Windows or any
other O/S for that matter, he hasn't looked back since.

While NetZero supports Linspire specifically, I'm wondering if a more
mainstream distro wouldn't be a better idea. He's more likely to find help
on the 'Net if he's using something more widespread like Fedora, SuSE or
(ick...) Mandriva. Either way round (and regardless of the O/S you let him
loose on), his first call for help will be to you rather than anyone else,
so maybe you should set him up with something you're more acquainted with.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
 neither do we."
       -- President George W. Bush addressing the Pentagon, 05-AUG-2004