Re: [tlug] KNOPPIX 4.0.2

Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> Thanks.  Hmm.... it recommends installing Debian if you want to run
> from the hard drive...:

I think that this is more of a reference to the style of the
installation rather than the final result--you are still going to end
up with a Knoppix Desktop.

You will get various opinions as to the merits of running Knoppix vs.
pure Debian. I will sometimes install Knoppix on a computer (usually a
laptop) for which I am having trouble getting some aspect of Debian
(such as X) to install properly. Knoppix will usually recognize all of
your hardware, even Wireless and so forth, and give you whatever
screen resolution you want.

You may run into problems, however, if you try to update anything, or
add anything, because there are various aspects of the Knoppix setup,
such as file associations and permissions, that are Knoppix-specific,
and a standard Debian upgrade will usually run into conflicts with
Knoppix right away. Just today I had Knoppix on my Mebius MP50G and I
wanted to install GFTP. When I tried to do this, apt automatically
began to update a wad of files, and then crashed when trying to
upgrade kbluetooth, which is a Knoppix-protected file. Other
complications arose, and so I just wiped out Knoppix and reinstalled
Sarge, which works pretty well, except for Wifi, and lack of access to
some packages not yet in Sarge, such as partimage.

Anyhow, if you get Knoppix installed to your hard drive, you might
want to copy some of its X config files, fstab, its Desktop, etc.,
which you can use in your Debian in the future.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities