Re: [tlug] KNOPPIX 4.0.2

On 1/11/06, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:19:29 -0500, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It just occurred to me that I like Knoppix... and I'm writing this via
> > Knoppix 4.0.2, but is there an install version of Knoppix, or is the
> > run-from-CD version the only way?
>
> Nope. You can install from the CD as well.
>
> http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Hard_drive_Installation

Thanks.  Hmm.... it recommends installing Debian if you want to run
from the hard drive...:

From Knoppix Documentation Wiki

The main strength of Knoppix is its ability to be run from memory as a
Live Linux CD. The advantage to this is that you can take the CD with
you. However, some users have worked out how to install Knoppix on a
hard drive . If you have an old small hard drive, a large hard drive,
or any other drive than a CD Rom drive that Knoppix was originally
intended for, then you may want to look at some of these Hard drive
Installation pages. Be cautioned, however, that because Knoppix is
designed for use from a Live CD, some choices have been made that are
good when running from a live CD, but do cause problems when
attempting to install Knoppix to hard disk, particularly when updating
and installing new software. There are many and frequent reports of
things that worked fine from the CD but stopped working after a "hard
disk install".

Knoppix is based on Debian, a Linux distribution that is intended for
hard drive installation. When Knoppix was first released a Linux
install did require a fair amount of technical knowledge; but the
Debian install process has matured a lot since then. It's still not
perfect, but neither is the Knoppix install. If you want a Linux
system installed to your hard disk, as well as the programs that are
included on Knoppix and many many others, all free, you should at
least consider Debian and try installing a curent version of it rather
than only installing Knoppix and not having a chance to compare
Knoppix to pure Debian.