[tlug] CUPS and Mozilla printing. Emacs print unicode.

<stephen@example.com> wrote:

 > Actually, I don't know enough to say that with any confidence (lprNG
 > Works For Me).<wink>

 >What *is* the advantage of CUPS anyway? lprNG is simple enough -
 >especially
 >if associated with something like apsfilter. In fact, that's probably >the
 >only gripe I have with Slackware 10.1 and later: lprNG is no longer
 >supplied. G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

For me, the advantage of CUPS is simply that it is "required" by my
non-free software from Samsung for its brain-dead laser printer-- which
to its credit prints beautifully, quickly and for less that us150
includes a scanner and a quick stand alone copier.

Worth the hassel of CUPS.

BTW, I have gotten Mozilla to print all my fancy xml/xslt: I use the
default printer, i.e. SCX4100@:64, which turns out to be to the Xprt,
and sent it to a file. (straight to the prininter it just disappears)
But the file is double size when printed by kprinter, ghostscript etc,
(not when viewed), so I follow JWStumpl's advice and edit
/etc/Xprint/C/print/attributes/document

to change "default-printer-resolution" to 300 (it was 600) and it is
just about the right size.

Sure wish I could figure out how to get Xprt to just work, but this is
pretty good for now.

On the topic of plain text printing:  emacs will print pretty much
anything on its screen (kanji and most diacritics):

Assuming you have mule and the usual international fonts, and the
bdf-directory-list already points to /usr/share/emacs/fonts/bdf/ (or
whereever they are),

then to print anything you can see in emacs, following the manual for
hardcopy postscript just set

(set-variable 'ps-multibyte-buffer  'bdf-font).

I also set:
(set-variable 'ps-print-header nil)
(set-variable 'ps-print-color-p nil)
(set-variable 'ps-font-size 12)

Now do a ps-print-region and just the highlighted region is monospace
printed.

Very nice!

Thanks for all the patient help-- if anyone knows how to kickstart
CUPS's xprinter, let me know.

David

Kyoto