Re: [tlug] CentOS and Japanese-Revisited-2nd Attempt

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 03:20:11PM +0900, Josh wrote:
> On 31/12/05, Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Josh Glover wrote:
> >
> > >Well, first we have to figure out *what* worked. Tell me which of
> > >these allow you to input Japanese:
> > >
> > >1.
> > >kinput2 -canna &
> > >XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2 LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP thunderbird
> >
> > yes, with only as is above...if I remove LANGUAGE=en_US and
> > LC_TYPE=ja_JP.eucJP, as in number 3, Japanese input ability
> > disappears...so, we can easily say, -xim plays no part.
>
> OK, so there you have it. Many X apps do not like to allow you to
> launch kinput2 unless your LC_* environment is set to a Japanese
> locale.

As I had a lot of free time this week, I played with several distros and
Japanese input.  The only consistant thing is that there is no
consistancy.  For example, on some distributions, one needs nothing more
than LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.  On others, that will work in a UTF-8 capable
terminal (and if any developer wants to, patch mrxvt so it can handle
it--the developer plans to do so but has been busy) but not in other
applications, for example, openoffice and firefox.  On others it will
work in some apps, e.g. firefox, but not openoffice.  Etc.

In GENERAL--whether using kinput2 -canna or scim-anthy or uim-anthy I'd
say that most terminals will work with LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8.  Although
with my usual O/S, FreeBSD, and my favorite Linux distro, Arch, almost
everything works that way, in many distros (and NetBSD) once you leave a
terminal, you have to set the LC_CTYPE to ja_JP.UTF-8 (or EUC if you
prefer).

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Every time you show up like this, you risk all your parts,
you know that?
Spike: I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a good reason. As
usual, I'm here to help you and I... are you naked under there?
Buffy: Get out.
Spike: No, I'm serious. I mean, not about the naked part...