Re: [tlug] Re: Ubuntu v5.10

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 10:54:41PM +0900, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

> > Playing with Ubuntu the other day, I found that both it and Mepis are a
> > bit more difficult to get working than some others.  I wound up having
> > some success by using a scim-anthy port--on my
> > http://www.scottro.net/jpninpt.html I have a link to it in the Deb
> > section, where I say go to the scim-anthy page and do a search for
> > Ubuntu.
> >

> Thank you for the detailed reply - I've saved it in the "To do" folder
> and will be trying it, but maybe after New Year's - I'm trying to get
> some things out of the way before the 31st.

Heh, I'm revising it after more experimentation.  :)   Instead,
go to the jpninpt.html page linked above, and follow the link to the
Ubuntu wiki, the one with the hyper link "The older one."  ~That~ link
takes you to a link for using Japanese in the latest Ubuntu, Breezy
Badger, using uim instead of scim, and works in all applications though
you'll have to fiddle, do some right clicking and setting input to
anthy--the article explains it fairly well.

I found that using the scim-anthy package I originally recommended, I
was unable to input Japanese in firefox and some others--hrm, abiword?
Openoffice? I've already forgotten.   It was fine for terminals.

I find scim-anthy easier and more intuitive to use than the uim-anthy,
but unfortunately, the Deb derivatives don't seem to work that well with
it.  I'm sure it could be fixed, but as I usually only boot into a Just
Works(TM) distro for multimedia stuff that I can't get working well
elsehwere, I don't feel like trying to trouble shoot it with my limited
knowledge.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: I don't wanna' bug Giles. He's still kinda' twitchy
when it comes to the subject of Angel.

Xander: Oh, it must be that whole 'Angel killed his girlfriend and
tortured him' thing, and Giles is petty when it comes to stuff like
that.