Re: [tlug] on root logins (1)

Hi!

On 28.12.2005, 21:25 +0900 Uva Coder wrote:
> With Plan 9, there is no root user. However, to perform administrative
> tasks on a machine a user would need to be added to the sys group. No
> need for su or sudo; nor root. IMO, this scheme eliminates a lot of
> bloat. :-)

Actually I'd prefer sudo. Following the principle of least privileges
[1], the administrator should use his normal user account with normal
user privileges and only certain applications which need more rights
should should be started with extended privileges.

OK, so Plan 9 removes an extra step - but sometimes this extra step
avoids or reduces the impact of mistakes...

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

--
  Michael Reinsch <mr@example.com>                      http://mr.uue.org/