Re: [tlug] Ubuntu v5.10

> user@example.com:~$ apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13
> Permission denied)
> E: Unable to lock the list directory
> user@example.com:~$

This is because installing packages on your system requires root
privileges. You can gain them by using sudo or with a root account. The
simplest thing to do is

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

and you will have to enter your *user* password

> Is it really necessary to remove Gnome in order to have KDE?  Can't
> KDE be installed alongside Gnome?

There is absolutely no problem having both at the same time.

> 2) I would like to install ebview, but an Add Applications search just
> brings back a "No results found" message.  What is within the system
> that is installable that way?  Is it fairly extensive or rather
> limited?

Yes it is pretty limited. If you use synaptic (accessible from the menu
System -> Administration -> Synaptic package manager), you can search
more thoroughly. Or you can use 'apt-cache search' on the command line
if you like it :).

Evan