[tlug] Ubuntu v5.10

I wiped the drive on my test computer of Kunbuntu (v5.10) and
installed Ubuntu v5.10.  In order to avoid the common problem of
getting several bits of this and that installed and cooperating for
the Japanese language, I installed Ubuntu as Japanese from the
beginning.  Since I then chose English for this session however,
Japanese input isn't working.  Next time I log in, I'll log in with
Japanese and see how it works.

Some installation note concerning the installation:

The installation took about 90 minutes, after which I updated it and
tried it out.  It's working fine.  However...

1) As per previous advice on how to get KDE going with Ubuntu, I tried:

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

- but I get this:

user@example.com:~$ apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13
Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
user@example.com:~$

I also noticed this bit regarding putting in KDE:

"Another leading Unix and Linux desktop is KDE. The Kubuntu team is
responsible for creating a version of Ubuntu optimized with KDE.
Kubuntu releases are synchronized with Ubuntu and can be downloaded at
www.kubuntu.org. You can also transform an existing GNOME desktop to a
KDE desktop, by removing the GNOME software and installing
kubuntu-desktop."

Is it really necessary to remove Gnome in order to have KDE?  Can't
KDE be installed alongside Gnome?

2) I would like to install ebview, but an Add Applications search just
brings back a "No results found" message.  What is within the system
that is installable that way?  Is it fairly extensive or rather
limited?

There's no emergency or rush - I'm just putting my experiences with
Ubuntu up in case some of it might be of interest to someone.

Lyle
--
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/