Re: [tlug] Some advices for Zaurus

On 12/26/05, Alain Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

>     Take?  As in buy?   As in receive from a friend? Take the store
> display and put it in your pocket?
> I'm going to assume you're about to purchase one rather than the last
> option as that is highly
> unrecommended   :)

My English is not so good. Just a friend will buy it and send it by mail to me.
Anyway I don't know what will he really does, take it of buy it ;-)

> It really
> depends on what your purpose for it is.  I didn't have a very highly
> defined purpose when
> I bought mine so that might have led to some of my disappointments.

I have actually a Dell Axim i30 and it works with PocketPC. I will
sell it and I want to upgrade and the zaurus seems to have a good
combination of things. Its software is in Japanese, it run under
Linux, has a big screen, SD and CF.
I will use it as a normal PDA, because I need it, but I want it to
program too, specially Perl. I just want something without any
relationship with M$ and that can be happily hacked with some
dedicated Linux distributions.
Just the deserved Christmas gift, for a year of hard work, of a Linux
adict and Japan fan geek :-)

What do you meand when you said:

> 2. Tons of free software available but it seems a headache to try to figure
> out what runs with which version of Zaurus ROM.

If I use Opie, OpenZaurus, Lycoris, mySTEP and so forth, maybe it will
let me install other free software?

Cheers.

-Pietro