Re: [tlug] Out of a Cloudy Sky (was fish sticks vs. fishing poles)

On 12/26/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, it's nice to see y'all discussing security at such length,
> but a little more rationale would be welcome.
>
> Lyle hasn't said what he's going to do with his box, but based on past
> discussion I would guess it's going to be a workstation, not a server.
> It's going to live in his apartment, not in an office.  It has
> bootable floppy and probably CD-ROM drives.

"Parameters"

Well, yeah, my needs are few at the moment, but I am interested in the
parameters of the system.  As long as we're using out-of-a-cloudy-sky
analogies, cars could be a useful comparison.  An interest in the
capabilities of your car's engine, transmission, tires, etc. is good
to know even if you never actually probe the limits.  In the case of
the tires, knowing how they are made and their speed ratings on smooth
roads, etc. could help (at least a little) to estimate how much
punishment they will endure on rougher roads.

Anyway - since we're publishing this, we might as well make it useful
for anyone interested in the topic, even if the original poster
doesn't absolutely need the information.  Best to know the parameters
of whatever, wouldn't you agree?

Also - as bad as this may sound - I have helped set up Linux for a few
people even greener than I, so whether the trade winds blow over the
top of my sails or not, it would be nice if they were there for
whoever raises their sails high enough to ride the trades into
smoother seas....

Lyle