Re: [tlug] Old dogs / new tricks

Michael Smith wrote:

>This makes me wonder how anybody ever finds out about the
>existence of rename(1) without getting informed about it on a
>mailing list or something.

    You do something like I do and get really aggravated at trying to do
a multiple
rename and realizde 'someone MUST have wrote a utility' so use man -k
'keyword',
Google anything that looks similar (it's a good way to expand
vocabulary) , locate,
scoping out /usr/bin, etc...   Eveything short  of actually writing your
own script
and then waste around the same amount of time (or probably more) finding
such a utility.
    I found 'rename' this way about 3 -4 months ago grumbling about multiple
file renaming tools at the CLI.  But usually, I tend to 'find' such
utilities when my
need for them rises up to a certain level.  Until that I hit that need
level I tend not
to look that hard.

>I mean, I read a lot of docs, and I have never come across mention
>of it. For example, nothing in "Unix Help for Users" (at least

    Never ran across that document myself.  It always seems I find
"Unix Help for OTHER users" which never answers my questions  :)

>not that I know of) or in similar docs intended for newbies (the
>people who might benefit most from having it).
>
>Is it because it's just too trivial for old-schoolers to
>just write a one-line bash script or function for doing it?  Or
>because it's just a Perl script?

    Some of us folks wrote a script and then lost it long ago because we
weren't
as methodical as Josh at sticking it in one good place.  :)

Cheers,
Alain