Re: [tlug] Kubuntu v5.10

On 25/12/05, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:37:16 +0900, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> > hy not use su *in addition to* sudo?
> >
> > sudo su - -c "insert your commands to be run as root here"
> >
> > That way, the password you are prompted for is yours.
>
> You know, I'd never thought of that!
>
> Thus that saying about old dogs and new tricks is invalidated...

I have found, in the Unix CLI world, there are so many neat little
hacks and elegant compositions of utilities that there is *always*
something neat to learn, whether the person pointing this out is a
godlike guru or a relative neophyte.

For example, just a few months back, a Junior Software Engineer at my
job taught me about the rename(1) program, which can do neat stuff
like this: [1]

[G]iven the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10,  ...,  foo278, the commands

              rename foo foo0 foo?
              rename foo foo0 foo??

will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278.

And

              rename .htm .html *.htm

will fix the extension of your html files.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] man rename