Re: [tlug] Kubuntu v5.10

Josh Glover wrote:
> On 25/12/05, Jake MORRISON <lists@example.com> wrote:
>
>>If you get tired of typing sudo, you can run
>>   sudo -s
>>to get a root shell.
>
> Which nicely defeats one of the main benefits of sudo; namely: not
> having root terminals floating around.

True enough. sudo is ideal for "one off" type stuff like
"sudo make install" or running routine systems maintenance scripts.
But it becomes somewhat annoying when you are trying to fix some
problem with, e.g. printing, and you need to poke around and edit
config files. I find it easier to just switch into a more careful
mental "root mode" rather than trying to do it pice by piece.

And years with young kids and cats have made me nervous about
leaving a root shell window open :-)

> -Josh

Jake