Re: [tlug] Kubuntu v5.10

I tried Kubuntu in the 5.04 timeframe and had some minor integration
glitches, which I can't remember right now. So instead I have been
installing the normal Ubuntu distribution and then running

  apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

to get KDE. I think that is closer to what the core
Ubuntu dev team is running, so it is less likely to have problems
out of the box.

Generally speaking I have been pretty happy with Ubuntu, but the level
of polish has been a little lacking compared to my experience with
Gentoo. For example,in 5.04 the default file permissions on the /dev/lp0
device (created by udev) were such that CUPS would not work with a
local printer.

I am just now installing the ubuntu-server distribution

Sounds like the best of both worlds. Frequent updates with
a five-year support cycle for updates. Hoping that they can actually
make it work...

Jake