Re: [tlug] [X]Emacs file association (auto-mode)

On 22/12/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> But I don't want to have to add lines like this for each of
>     Josh> my N file extensions. I would rather "strip" the .m4
>     Josh> extension off of the end of the filename and let
>     Josh> auto-mode-alist have at it.
>
> Er, Josh, just how hard is it to type C-h v auto-mode-alist?

Um... pretty hard, when I forget about Emacs's online help. Sorry. :(

> Ie, if ("\\.m4$" nil 'YOW!) doesn't do want you want, I want to hear
> about it.
>
> If it _does_ work, well, then
>
>                            MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks for the thought, but you failed to take into account my utter
Lisp incompetence. I tried:

(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list (cons "\\.m4$" nil 'YOW!))
      auto-mode-alist))

(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list (cons "\\.m4$" 'YOW!))
      auto-mode-alist))

(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list ("\\.m4$" nil 'YOW!))
      auto-mode-alist))

(setq auto-mode-alist (append (list "\\.m4$" nil 'YOW!)
      auto-mode-alist))

None of this (obviously to you; I can almost hear your snickering from
here! ;) worked. Are you still feeling enough of that Christmas spirit
to help out your fellowman, even if he happens to be a bit of a
thickie?

Cheers,
Josh