Re: [tlug] Air Con

Gerald Naughton wrote:

> I`m in a typical office where our Air Conditioning goes off at the Weekend
>
> Now I worry when the Summer comes around and my disks start
> crashing(one did this year)

All hard drives die. It's not a matter of if, but when.
If only one died this year, consider yourself lucky.

That said, drives last longer when cooler.
Large volumes of air helps much.
Ducting so that fresh "cool" air goes to hot things
and so that warmedair goes OUT without warming other things is good.
Lay your PCs on the floor and duct the hot air to the ceiling.

If that doesn't reduce the drive temperature to the desired goal,
consider an indoor air conditioning unit. Get a 19" rack, stuff your
PCs and the AC unit in it so that warm air goes out of rack without
recirculating. You have a miniature computer room. Set AC thermostat
for a few degrees above normal room temperature. If you are more serious,
you could set the thermostat for 15C to 18C, year round.

A big cardboard box would suffice for the "miniature computer room" also,
but its unsophisticated appearance would draw ire from bureaucrats.

A literal closet with a louvered door would work well also.