Re: [tlug] Skype

On 21/12/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> Skype was written by folks who wrote Kazaa:
> How do you like Kazaa's respect for privacy?

I don't. But I read an interview with Niklas Zennström somewhere on
the web where he expressed dismay about the adware / spyware explosion
in Kazaa (of course, Google hates me today, so I cannot find it!).
Remember, Kazaa was a commercial company, meaning they needed a
business plan. They picked one that turned out to be bad for the
consumers, but *maybe* we can give them the benefit of the doubt and
hope they did not know that at the time they chose it.

Skype's business plan, on the other hand, is about value-added
services like SkypeOut, SkypeIn, SkypeVoiceMail, etc. And it seems to
be working: they have hooked several TLUGgers! ;)

And for further reading, Skype's privacy policy:

http://skype.com/company/legal/privacy/privacy_general.html

-Josh