Re: [tlug] Free Linux for Desktop Newbies ?

On 12/21/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
  (LHS) > I like KDE myself - what does Ubuntu use then?

> Ubuntu is Gnome-ish by default.
> This is part of what makes Ubuntu so friendly for newbies.
>
> There is a variation of Ubuntu that has KDE.
> That variation is called Kubuntu.
>
> > I downloaded Kubuntu... and am thinking of trying it out on an old
> > 200MHz DEC computer I have with a 3GB HDD and 256MB. Is that enough?
>
> That is enough to run, albeit slowly.
> Why are you asking? Just run the Kubuntu Live CD.

Something went wrong... the install hung after slogging away with slow
progress for several hours (maybe the 3GB wasn't enough space?).  I
realize that via command line, 200MHz is enough power, but I'd
forgotten my own experience with 300MHz and 350MHz machines - which
worked, but (with GUI) were painfully slow.  Oh well, at least the
evil W has been eradicated from that box.

For anyone looking to run GUI, I would say P-III 450MHz is about as
low as you want to go in power.

Lyle