Re: [tlug] Free Linux for Desktop Newbies ?

Am 21.12.2005 um 09:24 schrieb Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon:

> bofh@example.com wrote:
>
>> Its been a long time since I did anything with Linux, so I'm
>> wondering what
>> the current landscape is like as far as distros for this kind of
>> environment
>> go. I went over to redhat.com and had a look, but didn't see
>> anything free. I
>> had been hoping that there are still some free distros out there
>> which will
>> have good hardware support, be easy to install, and be easy to use
>> as a
>> desktop machine for the non-geek.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I think SuSE 10.0 is pretty good for that.  Be sure to install it
> from the DVD version - the CD version is missing several frills.
> Maybe they've done that to get people to buy the boxed set?  I did,
> so I'm not sure how the free version is.  Even with the boxed set
> though, the DVD has everything while the set of CD's does not.

in my opinion it's overkill for the task.
for the pure websurfing experience it will take quite long to set up
a system where his guests will find directly the webbrowser (even
with standard options i guess that suse will install at least 2 of
them and some server stuff that never will be used) and similar stuff.

greetings

niels