Re: [tlug] Free Linux for Desktop Newbies ?

bofh@example.com wrote:

>Its been a long time since I did anything with Linux, so I'm wondering what
>the current landscape is like as far as distros for this kind of environment
>go. I went over to redhat.com and had a look, but didn't see anything free. I
>had been hoping that there are still some free distros out there which will
>have good hardware support, be easy to install, and be easy to use as a
>desktop machine for the non-geek.
>
>Any suggestions?

I think SuSE 10.0 is pretty good for that.  Be sure to install it from
the DVD version - the CD version is missing several frills.  Maybe
they've done that to get people to buy the boxed set?  I did, so I'm not
sure how the free version is.  Even with the boxed set though, the DVD
has everything while the set of CD's does not.

Lyle