Re: [tlug] Japanese on CentOS4.1

> Hi All,
>
> yes, get the following, upon doing source .bash_profile,
>
> Smart Common Input Method 1.4.2
>
> Launching a SCIM process with socket...
> Creating backend ...
> Starting SCIM as daemon ...
> SCIM has been successfully launched.
>
> so I'm quite comfortable that the code is being read. I'll check out the
> applet you mentioned. Cheers.

NOP! .. You shouldn't you are not taking into account the scope of those environment variables.
You are just source-ing them from the current shell (process) and making them available for that particular process .. but provably the rest of you GUI apps are being kicked out by a separate process (maybe your WM). Now, depending on how you are starting X and you VM, .bash_profile could or could not make sense. if you are entering a run-level that drops you into a vt then you manually kick xinit, startx, or watever, then it makes sence, but if you are going straight to to a login manager from init, it does not. In both cases I think .xinitrc is the file that will work best.

good luck,

//mauro//