Re: [tlug] Linux and Japanese Input [signed]

On 12/17/05, Robert C Balfour [c] <rbalfour@example.com> wrote:
> Never heard of Prime. How is the interface? Easy to use? Where can I get
> it from?

Oh sorry I just noticed that I hadn't answered yet !

Prime is an acronym for "predictive input method" (as far as I
remember), and is much like what you can find on cellphones. It will
remember your previous inputs and propose you the end of the (group
of) words you are typing.

I use it together with UIM but I know that you can use it with SCIM,
and I guess that you could use it with other backends as well (but I
don't know).

With ubuntu you can install the packages uim-prime, uim-xim,
uim-gtk2.0 and uim-applet-gnome (for the nice applet), and put the
following line in ~/.gnomerc to be able to switch with control+space.
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

maybe it is not the best way to configure it but as people say, it
worked for me ;)

Evan

ps: if you want to use anthy instead, you will need the package uim-anthy